Thai Thinks "Green" to Help the Earth
Thai Airways has initiated projects to support and create increased awareness amongst the company's employees in the areas of environmental awareness and climate change.
• “THAI Plants Life for Planet Earth"- The company's “THAI Plants Life for Planet Earth" project continues THAI's reforestation efforts at the Education Center for the development of Hui Sai in Cha-am district, Petchburi province. Water tanks will be provided to the center, for the transport of water used in further developing forest area. (The project will be conducted for the second time on June 14, 2008)
• “Reforestation in the Heart to Decrease Climate Change" - The “Reforestation in the Heart to Decrease Climate Change" project was initiated for youngsters to learn about and understand the importance of the forest and natural resources, by attending camps at the Education Center of Hui Sai in Cha-am district, Petchburi province. THAI employees' children will be invited to attend these camps. They company will sponsor expenses that go towards building bathing and restroom facilities used in this project, during the month of August 2008.
• “Employee Awareness Education Efforts" - A mobile exhibition and various activities will be conducted at the company's various buildings, during the month of May 2008 onwards. This project was initiated in order to boost employee awareness of environmental and CSR efforts as a part of the THAI organization, jointly working to decrease CO² emissions in the airline industry.
• “Purchase of Raw Materials Based on Good Agricultural Practice (GAP)" - The Good Agricultural Practice (GAP) project was initiated by THAI's Catering Services Department, which has been conducted for six consecutive years. Raw materials are purchased directly from the farming community through this project, which supports farmers to develop a production system that is environmentally friendly.
• “Energy Project Participation"- This project was initiated to boost THAI employee participation in the company's alternative energy project to produce biodiesel. Employees are encouraged to collect vegetable oil that has been used in meal preparation and send it to the company's catering unit to recycle it into biodiesel, which will be developed into a Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) project in the future.
About Thai Airways
Thai Airways (THAI) is the national carrier of Thailand with service to more than 74 destinations in 36 countries and five continents. THAI offers flights to more countries within the Asian region than any other airline and operates the fastest service to Southeast Asia from the U.S. with its daily non-stop JFK and LAX departures.
For more information on Thai Airways, please visit www.thaiairwaysusa.com.